©2017 All Content Copyright of The Oshawa Camera Club.

OCC Home OSHAWA CAMERA CLUB

The Club is proud to be celebrating 75 years in the Durham Community.


Please visit this page frequently for news past and present and upcoming celebration events.

The Club is proud to be celebrating 75 years in the Durham Community.


The Oshawa Camera Club (OCC) began as the General Motors Camera Club in 1938, holding its meeting that year in one of the small rooms at the GM auditorium. Shortly after inception, a number of people, who were not employees of General Motors, expressed a wish to join. The name was then changed to the Oshawa Camera Club.

For the first few years, the OCC was like a ship without a harbour. Meetings were held for various periods at Mitchell’s Drug Store on Simcoe Street North, St. George’s Parish Hall, Hornby’s Photo Studio and at the homes of some of the members. By 1940, the Club was ready to show its work to the community. The first ‘Exhibitions of Photography’ were held in 1940 and 1941, in the Genosha Hotel, then in the former Centre Street United Church (now the Civic Centre) and, in 1943 and for some years thereafter, at the YWCA.

In approximately 1945, the OCC found more permanent quarters at the YWCA. How a club, the membership of which was largely male, came to be associated with the Young Women’s Christian Association is somewhat of a mystery, but many happy years were spent at the ‘Y’.

After many years at the YWCA, the OCC rather reluctantly had to relocate. The next quarters, the Oshawa Recreational Centre on Gibb Street, were quite good until November 1965 when a fire gutted the building. Fortunately very little Club equipment was lost. However, the OCC was once again without a home, which meant meetings were held in various schools, community clubhouses and the Oshawa Civic Auditorium. The Club finally found more permanent accommodation at the Arts Resource Centre. For a period of time in the late 1980s, the OCC once again had to meet in a variety of locations until we came to reside at the Northview Library. 2011 finds us at our current location at the Woodview Community Centre in Oshawa.

In the late 1940s, the Club’s members gradually began to move from monotone to colour photography. We held our first ‘Annual Exhibition of Colour Slides’ at the McLaughlin Library shortly after its opening in the mid-1950s. The Annual Exhibition has evolved into the Spring Salon, with three showings, which attracts approximately 400 people per year.

The OCC has grown tremendously over the years, as has the photographic excellence of its members.

Step Back in Time! Some of the images and documents compiled for the “Let’s Remember” presentations by Vern Mossey

OCC 75-01 PDF

OCC 75-01 PDF

OCC 75-03 PDF

Archie Dancey

Fred Miller

George Morrison

Marshall Vaillancourt

Past Members-01


Station Gallery Exhibition

Thank you to all that attended our Station Gallery Reception. We had a fantastic turnout of members, friends and family. Sharon would like to thank everyone on the 75th Committee and volunteers for helping out. Thanks to the Station Gallery, the Show will be extended into November. So go check out the show!

Order Your Limited Edition 75th Anniversary Shirts Today. Only $15 - $35 each.

Official OCC 75th Anniversary Shirts

OCC 75th Community Invite.pdf

Videos! These are the photo essays compiled for the “Let’s Remember” presentations by Vern Mossey